:: Searching for Puck... ::

The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her.
:: welcome to Searching for Puck... :: bloghome | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: My Homepage[O]
:: My'Pensive'Journal[O]
:: Rant Blog[O]

:: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 ::

Ok.

So, after getting a "write up" at work for accidently leaving the safe open one too many times - (which, admittedly, I shouldn't have done, but the only people that can get in the back are employees) I decided to step down as head cashier. I'd like to leave outright, but I do like working around books and the employee discount is like crack.

I'm part of a little journalling group for booksellers, right? And we all bitch about our jobs, etc etc. It's a lot of relief to know you're not the only one on the verge of murdering a customer. Everyone speaks freely there, but most of us don't give real names or the stores we work at and so on. I didn't. Evidently, though, someone recognized my picture in my avatar and went and told my store manager everything. She confronted me, (and I've been saying high-school-style because basically she cornered me in the cash room and started accusing me of "hating" her and the other managers, and it felt for all the world like an incident in the girl's bathroom when I was a freshman and ended up getting punched..) and she pushed the door back closed at one point to keep someone from coming in. Frankly, I felt threatened, in all senses of the word - she'd never do anything like that, she's not that person, but I still got the fight-or-flight thing going on. She asked me what my issue was, and I told her, politely, things I had told both her and the other managers several times and been summarily ignored, and she just kept saying "But when'd you tell ME that? You didn't tell ME that" when I, in fact, had. She obviously either didn't recall it or didn't consider it an "official telling", because anything I said was interrupted with another round of the same phrase. I told her my main issue was that I didn't feel like I had enough training (and anyone who knows me or reads this knows that's absolutely true) and she says to me, in a what-an-idiot tone "Oh, so two weeks weren't enough for you, then?". The reason I wasn't as forthcoming with her as with the other managers was because she makes me feel like I'm a moron every time I mess up. I told her, point blank, that no, it wasn't, what I had actually *gotten* out of those two weeks wasn't what I needed. Cue the when-did-you-tell-me again.

It was a deeply unsettling incident, enough to make me re-think if I want to remain there, even in a lesser position. I told her I do want to stay there, but we have next to no hours, so maybe if there's only one day a week open and I still don't like it there, I'll just give my two weeks for the lesser position. I'll give them ample notice either way - I already imagine that this job isn't one I'll be listing on my resume, but I don't want to burn any bridges. I'm terribly dissapointed things turned out the way they did, and that someone went out of their way to make trouble for me (honestly, I haven't rocked *any* boats since I started there). No idea where I'm going to work now, either by itself or in addition to a day or two at my current job. The only way I can keep my healthcare is if I work 20 hours a week, which I don't see happening and I doubt I can live on anyway.

I really hate people.

~Fox
:: Fox 3/22/2005 10:20:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
Comments:
Ah sweetheart.. I am so sorry. People DO suck sometimes. I just.. blarg. ::hugs:: May you get new and better work very soon.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?