:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Monday, April 18, 2005 ::
I have a random quandary.
So, we have this neighbor, one of the uber-christians who bought my soap. She's nice, and while I can tell she has a holier-than-thou complex lurking, she does keep it mostly under wraps. She's an older lady, and I've been helping her tidy up her garden - she's hired me for $10 an hour. I've worked about 2 1/2 hours for her so far, she's paid me each day I do the work.
She gets reflexology done, strangely enough. (she told me once that when her reflexologist handed her a healing crystal to hold mid-session, she told her "Oh, I think we both know who heals. I certainly don't need this"....I'm sorry, but if you have to seek medical treatment, the skydaddy ain't doing the job you think he is.) By an odd coincidence, I know her reflexologist...we had talked once when I was at my current job, she does spa parties and I offered my services as a tarot reader, should she need one. My neighbor thought it was funny we knew each other, and I explained how we did. She asked if I wanted to come over to talk to her, but I was busy...I said, if you could just point out my house and say that the tarot card girl lives there. My neighbor was laughing and she was like what did you say? Haha..tarot girl? Oh no! But she was kidding the whole time, smiling, and grabbing a bottle off the shelf.
It was holy water..and I figured she was going to pretend to throw it on me. I've been in the situation before..people think it's hilarious. But no, she stopped, flipped up the spout cap, and shot two liberal lines down me in arcs, getting my shirt, and most especially my face and glasses wet.
I fake-laughed it off, but inside I was seething. Trust me when I say that we weren't on a level where something like that could be a gag...she's not a gag type of person. Was I wrong to be upset? Do I have a right to be offended when someone, in my eyes, so out-and-out insults my beliefs? How would she feel if I were to place voudoun candles in her house or something? I've been nothing but nice to this woman..helping her with paperwork, groceries, yardwork (the only of the trio she's paying me for, and that at her own insistence) - you name it. I think what she did was uncalled for...the time has come and gone for me to actually say anything about it...I don't really have any wishes to rock the boat, in any case. I just want to know if I'm over-reacting when I'm offended by this...I'd appreciate opinons.
~Fox
:: Fox 4/18/2005 09:56:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|