:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Monday, October 04, 2004 ::
Greetings all;
I've returned, after awhile away. As I said in my audio post, we thankfully got aaliyah adopted by a very nice family in New York, who already have a 3 year old son. It's a hell of a lot better than the DYFS system would have done her.
Life has been tiring lately; but at least my schedule at work is a little more stable. Now I work Monday nights, wednesday mornings, friday mornings, and a double shift on Sundays...I make about $231 a week now. I'm trying to get my bills under control a little better...I'm really relieved I'm managing to make something of a dent in my debt. I owe about $150 to sears, $180 to capital one, and a little over $900 to bank of America, still...it's the last that I can't wait to get paid off. It's amazing how swiftly you can get yourself into financial trouble. I'm making something of an investment plan, small as it may be. I'm putting $25 a month into my ING investment account and $20 to my sharebuilder account. Stocks can be dicey, but I think I made some good choices so far...I have miniscule amounts in them, because I don't have a lot of money, but it's great fun. I have 6 dollars each of diamonds series 1 index and the nasdaq 100 tracking stock, and then $16 bucks in google, which is doing pretty well.
I spent the weekend in Sommerville at the Dodge Poetry Festival, and had a pretty good time. There was all sorts of readings and workshops, but to be honest, I think I went to maybe one and a half out of about probably 20 possible. I go for the atmosphere, the people, and the writing "vibes" I get out of the experience. I hung out with older people the entire time..saturday, I had what must have been a 2 hour talk with a 70 year old named John about everything literary, my faith...everything...he was an amazing conversationalist and listened so much better than anyone else there. I had had an unpleasant experience trying to talk to people earlier...basically, every conversation went "Hi, yeah..I'm (name). I was published in (thing)...did I mention I was published in (thing)? Cause I was. What are *you* published in? Oh, by the way, your work sucks." You can probably imagine it wasn't the most fun I've had. On Sunday I hung out with two 50-somethings from Vermont...we just...chilled. We took a nap on hay in the middle of the entire fairgrounds, with people walking around us and everything. I shared an apple with Carol and some websites with Peter...they just rocked! Such cool people! THe only downsides were that the entire place was a damn mudpit from the rain, and the food was hideously overpriced. I got a magnetic poetry book and a poster of the festival.
I'm glad to be home, though. It was very weird sleeping without Joey...I'm so used to going to bed next to him it felt odd not to be. I have work at 4 today, so I'm going to try and tidy up a little around here and maybe hit Barnes and Noble before I head in. i also have to get another book of my works at some point...I lost the one I made at AWP at the festival. :-(
Hey! Check out my ebay auctions...I'm a seller now! :)
~Fox
~Fox
:: Fox 10/04/2004 09:59:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|