:: Searching for Puck... ::

The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her.
:: welcome to Searching for Puck... :: bloghome | contact ::
[::..archive..::]
[::..recommended..::]
:: My Homepage[O]
:: My'Pensive'Journal[O]
:: Rant Blog[O]

:: Thursday, July 08, 2004 ::

It's official:

I now own FoxMackenzie.com!!!!

I'm so psyched, I've wanted my own dotcom for a long time now and just never got around to it. There's nothing there yet...I have to figure out how to do that "pointing" thing I've been trying to read up on...I want my homestead page to come up when my dotcom is typed in, so I still need to do a little how-to reading on the whole bit.

I'm glad I have it...I'm hoping to now revamp the whole site to reflect my personal webpage and my writings, too. Fox Mackenzie has been my nom de plume for almost as long as I've been writing, and it's so familiar to me I decided on that as a dotcom name over the more childish-sounding fallback of Foxfyre's Den. It's a little too early-90's wiccan to properly represent the image I want to these days. For those of you wondering, Mackenzie is scottish for "Daughter of the Wise Leader", a reference to my faith in both my spiritual father and the Isle of Avalon. I like the way the two names blend together...to me, it's a unique kind of idea that seems sort of eclectic. If you see it on a book cover, it's not likely to be forgotten a moment later.

So, off I go to try and figure out this new-fangled http domain pointing business.

~Fox

UPDATE: 7/9/04 - despite the fact that I called powweb to confirm that I could "point" my new dotcom domain to my homestead site, and despite their verifying that I could, and that it would cost no money, I find that 12 hours later, after they have bled sixty bucks out of me, that they "do not and never have" done pointing. Their customer service/IT is very sub-par, and I felt more like I was calling a frat house than tech support. Every minute or so, it was "hold on a sec..." (covers mouthpiece of phone with hand, uncovers a minute later) "yeah, we don't do that. Don't know what you're talking about." . Their "live tech support chat" was being sort of run by a kindly fellow customer with some knowledge on computers, while the rep just kind of lurked in the chat and didn't do shit the whole half hour I was there. Needless to say, I'm livid. Additionally, I have come to find that thanks to some new weird internet law, I cannot transfer my new dotcom to Homestead or some site that doesn't have their heads up their asses for 60 days from yesterday. Figures.

PowWeb is a horrible service with horrible support, and I wouldn't recommend it to a sea slug. Stay away from them!

~Fox
:: Fox 7/08/2004 11:37:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?