:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Monday, June 07, 2004 ::
Perhaps I have a future as a professional socialite.
Joe and I went on another job today - he had had a bad day at work, so I brought him some bubble tea, and we went straight to the job after. It was for a higher-tax-bracket kind of neighborhood, for a spa customer he had been trying to fix a spa for for a few visits now.
Well, the guy came out, glass of red wine in hand, and promptly said hello, just as promptly offering us drinks, so insistent that I ended up with a glass of white and joe ended up with a fairly strong gin and ginger ale. His wife followed him out after awhile, and she and I started talking, the same way Caroline and I had at the last job.
Jenny, the woman, and I talked and talked...diets, birds, dog breeding, gardening - everything...she even took me on a full tour of her house, pointing out all the fun little decorating details I love and offering suggestions on how I could duplicate the look. I had an amazing time...she even gave me a yogurt smoothie drink she says has been helping her lose weight, and some low-carb string cheese (luckily I ate one before Joe got wind of the presence of mozzarella..). We had garlic hummus and crackers, too. I felt a little guilty, at one point, when she and I were sitting having hummus and wine and chatting while the guys were elbows-deep in a broken spa filled with cold water, but the moment passed. :)
I don't know - like I was telling him, I leave those kinds of interactions feeling great. Here are these women who see little that doesn't directly deal with their kids, or housekeeping, and I feel like I bring them news of the outside world, almost. I probably sound elitist, but I don't mean it that way. The way I see it, Caroline, who doesn't drive, sees in me driving help, should she ever need it, and a kindred non-pta-obsessed spirit. Jenny, who gave up her career to raise her children, however gladly, sees in me an impressionable young woman who can benefit from her worldly experience and someone to give her gratification that she has impeccable taste in home decor. Both women helped me make realizations about myself - I just hope I impacted them too.
Oh, and Jenny painted her living room a deep blush persimmon. I am *so* painting my living room a dark color, after seeing that and Caroline's pumpkin spice java-chic.
Joe and I are actually beginning to look for apartments. It's both exciting and scary as shit. I went through the whole phone book today and called every single complex listed locally. Looks like we're going to be paying at least $800. Sucks.
P.S. - To my Brother Vulpine: You're weird, but that text like, made my night. Laughed my damn ass off. I just hope I'm not going to have to turn in that text message kobe-bryant style when you get picked up in conjunction with a missing person. ;)
P.P.S. - To my Alpha: Hope you're not doing anything I wouldn't! Write me sometime. Miss ya.
~Fox
:: Fox 6/07/2004 09:33:00 PM [Say what?] ::
...
|