|
|
:: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 ::
Well, the trip was interesting.
Friday night, we made it down, pretty much checked into the Days Inn with Dads help and conked right out.
Saturday, we basically ran around the entire day while dad did last minute wedding stuff with all the calmness of a hurricane slamming into North Carolina. Tempers snapped, women cried, and I think Joe picked up a permanent emotional scar or two in the process. Thankfully, it all came together in the end, and I cried at the wedding because, well, my daddy got married. I made a little speech and said that I was happy, in this day and age of broken homes, to have two moms where some didn't have any. Obviously, no one will be more important to me then my own mom, but it will be nice to have a stepparent that is actually capable of emotion regarding me that isn't drunk infatuation, physical abuse, hate, or overpowering apathy. The place was breathtaking, out on the Audabon (sp?) nature preserve (we saw an armadillo at one point) at twilight with torches and the whole bit - the whole family was there, aunts Debbie, Debbie, and Nan, Uncles Jay and Brook, and my cousins Tyler, Katie, and Alisandra. Joe got to meet everyone, I got to catch up with everyone, and a good time was had by all. There were some beautiful flower arrangements, an SUV limo (::quiet shudder::) and a nice Jazz club in the french quarter after the fact. Joey 'caught' the garter, and a station girl from dad's command caught the bouquet, and, in a tradition that neither joey or I were aware of, he was forced to put the garter on the girl that caught the bouquet, who was more physically intimidating then *me*, and about as happy with the concept of being gartered as I would be with the concept of eating seafood. People were coerced, and it happened. No one was harmed.
Saturday night was our first night in a breathtaking hotel in the heart of the Quarter, the Hotel Bienville, and I'll tell ya, it doesn't get much better than that. Balconies, hanging tendril gardens, a pool (we didn't go in cause it was kinda cold) and a bed you could have played freaking shuffleboard on. After trying to negotiate Joey's unforgiving twin bed and my uncomfortable queen, having a king was the best thing ever. No one got covers stolen, pushed off the bed, or kneed in the back.
(as a sidenote: I heard from my lit professor, and everything's okay. I can hand in my report. Thank goddess. )
Sunday we roamed the quarter and toured the new Ripley's believe it or not New Orleans museum, which was a lot of fun...they have this neat tunnel thing that makes you feel all dizzy. I took him through the neat flea market I love so much, and to a bunch of stores like esoterica, hot chocolate and the like. We bought toys and had a really great time. I *think* that was the night we went to the Hard Rock cafe, too. Amazing food there, I was actually ridiculously impressed.
Monday we roamed the quarter again after waking up at like the crack of noon and checking out...the days kinda blur at this point cause everything was so laid back. Oh yeah, we went and checked in at the holiday inn, then went to the Boomtown casino, where I had an amazing time (I had never been to a casino before) and Joey won about 180 overall, and I got about 30 or so. We spent a good part of the time in the upstairs arcade, and I'll tell you, it was ridiculous fun. We found this drum-type arcade game that was like DDR, only with percussion...even with both of us doing it, it was hard! We also played DDR, skeeball, quarter-flip games....all variety of fun. I got a green stuffed reindeer and he got chinese fingertraps for his nieces.
Tuesday, our last day there, we did a whirlwind tour of the quarter that involved the IMAX theatre, the Cafe Du Monde and Hooters. Unfortunately, I had gotten our flight time wrong, and we had to rush a LOT to get to the airport on time for it. Tempers were high and there was a lot of fighting between Pam and Dad en route...brought back a number of unpleasant memories. Thankfully, Joey hugged me and we made it through okay. He and I did well this trip, I think it brought us a little closer together. He still throws me for a lot of loops, but I'm that much closer to figuring out what it all means, I suppose.
There you have it, our trip. Pictures will be posted soon, with any luck.
~Fox
:: Fox 11/19/2003 08:54:00 PM [Say what?] ::
...
|