:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Monday, May 19, 2003 ::
You know...
There are few things *less* pleasant then being woken up by the sound of your cellphone when you're not expecting it. I didn't get to bed until 2 last night, and then only because Vince disappeared while we were talking.
So, at 8, my phone goes off.
I pick it up, trying my best, (however, in vain) to get rid of that scratchy-crackly morning voice and not to sound stupid. I'm scrubbing, half-asleep at my eyes and my sluggish brain is mis-firing like a weed-choked boat motor trying to figure out what the hell is going on.
It's Mike, my boss from No Joe's. He sounds really upset.
Now, before I explain this, let me say something. I worked an afternoon shift on Friday, the last day we were open last week. While I was leaving, I asked Mike about the schedule, and he said he would call me with it, the same way he had the previous week. So I waited. All weekend. Mom had wanted to make plans to go to Glen Cove next weekend and needed to know when I worked. Mike never called.
So, when I get an irate call at 8 am on a Monday morning wondering why I'm not in work, I get a little confused. I get the lecture about why I *should* be in, and how he had to call Tanya in and everything else, and my brain finally starts up proper, and promptly douses me with emotions that are NOT palatable for breakfast-thoughts. Intense guilt for not being there, intense worry that I had somehow just lost my job, and intense loathing that Tanya had somehow moved up on the invisible 'uber-barista' scale that my own paranoid mind keeps track of to piss me off.
But then, I had a moment of enlightenment. I stopped Mike mid-sentence in berating me, and I asked why he never called me over the weekend. I told him that I *couldn't* have checked the schedule, because it didn't exist prior to my final departure of the week. I told him I had been waiting anxiously for his nonexistent call.
This was my response.
::papers rustling::
Oh. Um...geeze. I'm so sorry Fox. Wait...no...you're not in today. That's tomorrow. Damn. Yeah, you're in tuesday, wednesday and thursday 1-close and friday open to 1:30. I'm sorry...go back to bed, enjoy your day off. I'll see you tomorrow.
::click::
I just kind of...stared at the phone for several minutes, after he had hung up. Of course, by then, I was awake for good and there was nothing I could do about it. I ended up calling Brian Joseph to talk about our grades cause he IMd me. He got a B in math too. He also, bless him, has all my righteous anger that I was too sleepy to muster. He maintains that Mike is an asshole and he never liked him and how could he do that to me, and so on. I'm glad *someone* has a handle on things. Cause evidently, I sure don't.
~Fox
:: Fox 5/19/2003 08:48:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|