|
|
:: Saturday, April 19, 2003 ::
So, yeah, last night.
Well, Dre actually managed to beat the Time Flux that exists between here and Splainfield and got here with time to get to Red Bank by 9:30, which is when I was supposed to be there. We were volunteering handing out flyers for Improv Jam, who have moved operations from the good old standby of the Internet Cafe to the Phoenix Theatre nearby. I don't know how good a move it was....half the charm was them trying to be funny over the sound of the espresso machine, and trying to fit six guys onto this tiny stage. Mike (the troupe leader) seems like he's trying to make the troupe more 'legit'....I don't think it's a good idea, but we'll see.
So we get there and get our flyers and our '4 free tickets' (which is merely an index card with 4-free-tickets written on it) and move on to hand out the info. A girl, Dierdre, joined Andre and I, and we walked and talked together. Dierdre seemed really cool, but with that sense of 'off', slightly. I don't know if any of you know what I mean. You know how when a person visits Jersey, and they're really from Kansas, and they don't have an accent or anything but you can tell something's 'off"? Well, I found out why...She's really 32. She looks like she's 21..it's very disorienting.
So we passed out flyers for awhile without much success, and ended up, as all things do, at the Broadway Diner. We were sitting and chatting and trying to 'scope' possible flyer-ees, and there was a long-haired guy in the back that I started ogling. The guy and his male friend were talking to two chicks that were sitting in a table across the way and I was silently willing the two girls to back off so maybe I could get the digits for the guy with the long hair. So I go up with a flyer, and get a deja-vu moment when I look at long-hair guy...I ask him if he did renaissance faires at all, he said no, looked kind of weirded out I had claimed to recognized him, so I walked away. I promptly did an about-face two seconds later and I asked "Are you Dan S- ?" and he's like "Yeahhh...um, who are you?" It was Dan, this guy I met at a forensics tourney like, waaaay back in my junior year of high school, and promptly fell in love with due to his waist-length black hair. I wrote him a long note and gave him my email, and he got back to me months later to say hi. We ended up hanging out for the day in Red Bank and had a grand old time, and then went back to his (palatial) house. So, long story short, I tried to hit on him, found out he was gay.
It figures. My long-hair crush-cycle is coming full circle. I'm actually repeating myself and my own failures. Crazy. He didn't look thrilled to see an old acquaintence...he looked a little disturbed. I let it be. I've come to accept that no guys I find godlike attractive will be straight, available, and into me at the same time.
So, the trio of us left, and I was starting to get kind of a nagging suspicion that Dierdre was setting off my gaydar, but I ignored it. We were walking through a parking lot, and who is there but 7 guys playing volleyball in the dark. They were set up on either side of a curb with a parking meter in the middle as a "net". Getting it through the powerlines overhead was automatically a point. It was a *real*, actual game, with the correct rules, a volleyball, and rotation and serve rules...exactly the same as it had been in Gym class, only in a dark parking lot with a meter as the net. It was the strangest pick-up game I'd ever seen. Of course we joined.
The final score was 11-13, them (dre went to the 'good' team, Dierdre and I to the 'we need help' team) but we might have made a comeback...the cops ended up breaking it up. They (the cops) stayed and watched for a good 6 serves or so before breaking it up, so I have to give them credit. So, the volleyball team retreated to their truck, and we were all laughing and having a grand old time.
The volleyball team then extracted a toilet from the back of their truck. It was a light blue porcelian with stains on the inside of the bowl. They brought it to Improv Jam.
If there's one thing mike can say for me, it's that I always bring either wacky people, large amounts of people, or large amounts of wacky people. Up until previously, my best hijinx was showing up with two Army men (Ricky, back when we were dating, and his buddy) in full camo with berets on. The toilet definately beat it. They used it in part of the act, but ended up mostly avoiding it because of the stains. They took it away afterwards and left it in the middle of the volleyball 'court'. We saw a stray cat balancing on the rim and poking it's head down into it...I tried to get a picture, but the camera winding noise scared it away. So, we consoled ourselves by getting pictures with the toilet. I plan on having them scanned and added to the website.
Dierdre and I are going to this music fest in Keyport today...I'm not sure if she's a lesbian and interested in me, or just friendly. Sometimes it's hard to tell with people older than you. Sentiments were different a decade ago. We'll see.
In other dating news, I've had some new developments.
Leading the pack is Ryan, a boy I met at the open mic who ended up driving me home. I had a fantastic time talking with him en route, and he actually likes both moulin rouge and women, a combination heretofore unseen. He's cute in a clean-cut kind of way, and I can definately see past the hair length. I think he digs me. Again, I hope I'm not just misinterpreting friendliness. In this case, I'm fairly sure I'm not. I like this guy a lot, even having only met him briefly. I was debating sending 'secret admirer' flowers to his work. I think I still might, if he doesn't call me back today. I left him an IM inviting him to the music fest. Being less groggy this morning and able to examine my thought processes, I realize that this might not be a good idea, inviting two people who might like me to the same place at the same time. Funny yet tragic hijinx might ensue.
So, yeah. There was another guy I've been talking to through the personals that seems really sweet, but he lives in Millville (two hours south) and seems to have a phenomenally busy schedule. I can deal with one or the other, but both seems like reason to doubt...so I resumed my search after sitting and thinking on it awhile. I'm still talking with all parties concerned until someone asks me out or I get fed up, whichever comes first. Maybe it seems kind of businesslike to my reading public, but bear in mind I'm not sure about how anyone feels about me at the given moment, and I'm merely waiting for positive emotions to emerge before I make my next move.
In other news, I'm damned hungry. I need food.
~Fox
:: Fox 4/19/2003 11:12:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|