|
|
:: Friday, March 07, 2003 ::
Okay, so...
Spurred by my mom's complaints, I looked into a few more car insurance companies, and found Prudential, which only wanted $951 for 6 months, much better than the $1400 quoted me by Allstate.
So, I talk to her. I need the title for the car, the registration, copies of my, Joe's and Mom's licenses, my Gene's Driving School certificate, and $951 bucks up front. Will do. I get up and get all the stuff for the title swap, go over to DMV, and, forty years later, I have one title for a 1991 volvo in my name.
So, miraculously, I find my gene's certificate with no problem, and mom's home when I am. I get the old registration for the car, and am all set to go, but call the office to make sure I have everything I should.
So, of course there's a bunch of stuff they didn't tell me. The lady at the DMV said I couldn't get registration without the car being insured in my name. The lady at prudential says I can't get car insurance without a registration in my name. The lady at prudential (Donna) seemed really confused for a second, then talked to someone, then says the title will be fine. Okay, whatever, case closed.
Then she starts in on all this shit about how not ONLY do I need front-and-back copies of Mom's and Joe's licenses, I also need the Declaration page for Joe's insurance, a piece of paper that officially lists all the cars he has and how much they're insured for.
There's a lot of inherent problems with this. For one - Back in 1998-99 when mom was living with Don, they bought a van. The insurance ran out and for some reason we didn't have the money or something to renew until a few days from when it ran out. Of course, in this window of time, Don managed to crash the van. Don drove for a living, limos and propane trucks, so this was a real problem, because in NJ, when you get into an accident without insurance, your license gets yanked. So mom fibbed and said that while she knew the insurance had run out, she hadn't told Don this. In reality, Don knew perfectly well and was driving the Van anyway. So mom took the hit and lost her license for a year, I think it was. Then we moved to Matawan, and Don left us for a girl young enough to be his daughter. So mom was without a license, saddled with a mortgage she couldn't handle, and me. So, while mom drove with a suspended license for awhile, the car eventually got repo'ed.
Enter Joe. Joe had a bad driving history when he was young, but cleared it all up. However, he couldn't add mom to his policy because it would absolutely skyrocket. So, "technically", mom hasn't been insured for like, 3-4 years. She does drive, and drives well, but she drives the cars under Joe's policy, and if she ever crashed, there'd be a pretty big problem again. So, Joe's insurance company, not being the brightest crayons in the box, don't realize that Joe and mom got married over a year ago, or if they did, never updated the paperwork. Joe's insurance would go up considerably if they found out he was married to such a high-risk driver. He also said that there was no one under 25 living in his house. At the time, it was true, I was living in MD. However, now that I've returned, we have to be careful they don't find out I'm here or it might void his policy.
Soooo....Joe's afraid that Prudential will call Security Indemnity and somehow let the cat out of the bag in the process of their fact-checking. I couldn't even get a quote from Security Indemnity because they'd put me in the system, see that mine and Joe's Addresses matched, and blow the whistle on him. Even this aside, Joe doesn't have current Declaration pages that have current dates on them...the only ones I could find cover the policy he had from 8/01 to 8/02. It's like pulling teeth trying to get him to request a new declaration page mailed out, because he's afraid they'll find out I'm living here.
Yet again I'm fucked. I finally have the paperwork and means to get this god damn insurance, and everything humanly possible goes wrong. I'm sure that, once I get the fucking insurance (which is going to take 10 days, and THEN 10 days after that to get the fucking registration) I'll crash the car or it will break. What the fuck IS THIS SHIT?
All I want on this god damn green earth is to be able to get reliable transportation back and forth to school without feeling like I have to sell my firstborn to get rides. I'm about to just start driving the fucking thing without insurance. I'm pissed.
~Fox
Penny for your thoughts?
:: Fox 3/07/2003 02:25:00 PM [Say what?] ::
...
|