:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 ::
It started as a goth-y, dark-humor-oriented joke.
A dating screener. I compiled it and built my little brainchild on my homestead site. I asked the most common questions in my experience...the questions that, were the wrong answer given, would clearly state to me there was no use continuing with any others. These questions were a mix of the mundane (Name, age, vital stats, smoker/non?) to more complex and socially-questing issues (*why* do you want to date me, sexual orientation, religion?) Some even had bitter recollections of past exes..(Do you/have you done drugs, are you promiscuous?) But all went towards a final goal: the perfect man.
Even I don't know exactly what he is to me, because if I did, that would take the fun out of the search. As I began to undertake this microcosm of a statement about our cyberized society, I realized I had a very important aspect in my favor...I knew what the perfect man was not. That was the concept I centered my question structure around.
After the first few responses came in, I came to realize that this concept had just as much value as an actual tool as it did a mockery of the condition of society. I briefly considered scoring the test numerically, but decided it wouldn't be fair, as one question's success may overshadow another's failure, and that would be difficult to represent in numbers. And so I just mixed a fair amount of open-ended questions with a fair amount of multiple choice, and left it to my judgement.
When responses went to the double-digits, I realized I had stumbled across something. I added a request for pictures at the bottom of each page, and left the masses to decide whether I was a catch or not; or at least worthy of answering a pageful of questions for.
In a moment of clarity, I began to ponder the quiet statement I had made. I had several messages from parties of both genders come in over the course of my experiment, congratulating me on my idea, and quite a few asking if I could design one for them as well.
Meeting people suddenly became a lot easier. I felt that, simply by setting up some velvet ropes, I'd not only heightened my popularity and interest with the general local population, I'd set them up in neat, easy-to-handle lines. And isn't that the concept the cyber-age was born out of?
Please tell me your opinons. They're important to me.
The page
Send me comments and queries at Foxfyre33@aol.com
Thank you.
:: Fox 1/22/2002 12:55:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|