:: Searching for Puck... ::
The mostly-daily saga of a 22 year old girl in search of eldorado, good books, a pen, a spare set of keys, the secret of immortality, or shiny objects, depending on when you ask her. |
|
|
:: Saturday, January 05, 2002 ::
Boy, dating sure has changed.
I just realized how completely cyberized my entire romantic life really is. I mean, I put numbers in my cell phone, names in my buddy list, and info in my palm pilot.
I profile-check my potentials. I scan their webpages for signs of lingering exes. I do profile searches with their screen names to see if some ex-who-can't-let-go is still crushing on them.
"Googling" has become a phenomenon, wherein the potential's full name is put in at google.com and the entire web is searched for incriminating bits of digital information. I have personals ads up on three different sites, and they're all cross referenced by location, location, location.
An intimate dinner is reduced to a scheduling logistic via email, and a man is judged on the size of his font. I schedule p.d.a.'s IN my PDA. Meeting someone out of town? The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and that line is drawn by mapblast, complete with estimated arrival time.
Does he know grammar? Does he punctuate? Sure. But how's his voice? Here it is now, issuing forth from my speakers on a yahoo-reigned medium. And how's his presence? There it is, on my screen in a little framed window.
Everything is reduced to code. My men are becoming more html programming and less flesh-and-blood. I can spell-check them, photo-shop them, edit them accordingly. "He didn't have enough content" becomes the modern-day coffee-with-the-office-gals putdown.
When my server crashes...
Am I going to have a midlife crisis?
:: Fox 1/05/2002 12:31:00 AM [Say what?] ::
...
|